RCD OR Earth Leakage Unit tripping


According to regulation all three phase plugs have to be on a RCD or Earth Leakage Unit supply. We have machines that mostly use heating elements and they cause nuisance tripping. The standard ELU has a 30mA rating do you get a unit and are you allowed to install one with a higher rating.

Or has any one else have a similar problem and what did you do to solve it?

Thank you
asked 1/31/2016

1 Answer

Hi Jurie,

Its true many regulators have stringent requirements on earth leakage protection. However, they may or may not specify the 'sensitivity' for earth leakage protection. RCDs / RCBOs / ELCBs come in various 'sensitivities' - 30mA, 100mA and 300mA being most prevalent. 30mA ones are the most sensitive and are generally used for household appliances, lighting circuits, etc. where human intervention with the equipment is high. 100mA or 300mA are most suitable for your application where the 'normal' leakage currents are high and human intervention is less, e.g. saw mills, welding machines, furnaces, workshop tools, etc. I think you also get RCDs with settable range of operation, which might help your cause further.

Hope this answers your question.

Fahad Shaikh.

answered 4/17/2016 fahad8413 2

Your Answer

In order to provide an answer to this question, you must Login

I am flagging this question because...

10 inform moderator flags remaining

I am deleting this question because...

I am flagging this answer because...

10 inform moderator flags remaining

Flagging a Post

You have already flagged this post. Clicking "Remove Flag" below will remove your flag, thus reducing the count by one as well.

I am deleting this answer because...

Our website uses cookies so that we can provide a better experience.
To learn more about what cookies are and how to manage them visit AboutCookies.org